Saturday, July 2, 2011

I want to remember

You know those days that you want to just tuck in your pocket and hold onto forever. Those kind of days that make you thankful that you are exactly where you are, no matter what the circumstances are. Well today was one of those days. Blogger has become my pocket and this one is getting tucked away somewhere deep.


This weekend is our state baseball tournament. Normally, tournaments are a bigger deal than league games, this is a no brainer. But to be going to a state tournament, we were more than excited. Add on that this was going to be Chase's last few games with his new team and as a family we were pumped up!! Friday night was a double header in the miserable 105 heat. It was hot. Hotter than any of the boys really thought it was and man did that heat eat them alive. We lost our first two games in a fashion that I have never seen our boys play. We had lost before we even took the field on Friday. We all went home, sweaty and upset, and slept it off. Tomorrow had to be better.


We all trudged our chairs and tents and washrags and coolers full of water and gatorade back up to Field D for a new game and a new day. Walking up I noticed we were playing the exact same team we had played night before. We all got our boys ready and watered up as we quickly found our seats in the shade. This is where a man could probably explain it better because we all know that men have some how mastered how to remember all these balls, strikes, and pop flies. I can not. But it went a little something like this: our boys kicked ass on one of the hottest days in July.
Photobucket
Simple as that. We beat that team in the morning. Regrouped, ate lunch, chatted with teammates, and came back out to win our next game. Our team was on fire.
Photobucket
Photobucket
They were a team again.
Photobucket
They cheered each other on. They walked out on the field to say "come on man one more pitch that's all we need". Mom's got iced towels for our red and exhausted sons because Lord knows we don't want our babies to get sick. Then we cheered for them as they walked in the dugout because we know they want to hear us.
Photobucket
Dad's yelled for their boys and slapped them on the heads (and butts) because they were so gosh darn proud of them.
Photobucket
Sometimes plays worked out for us and
Photobucket
sometimes they didn't, but our boys stuck in there.
Photobucket
We hung with the big dogs today!! We are in a tough fight tomorrow but today, victory was ours :).


And my son, oh my baby!! This proud momma can hardly type fast enough to talk about my son. He came in to pitch (after playing center field for all previous games) in the last inning of a very close last game. He threw some strikes and some balls. He struck some out and he walked some. We went into extra innings (mind you it was about 105 about this time and they had been playing for 2 hours and then 2 hours before that) and our fans just couldn't believe this. We rallied and screamed for them. We pushed them to keep going, to dig deep and find the strength to play through the heat. My son pitched that extra inning to them as they were up last. We were ahead by 3, we just had to hold them. He pitched some strikes, he kept his cool. He pitched some balls, he kept his cool. His team backed him up and got two outs. He watched as two players from the opposing team ran across home plate bringing the score to just 1 ahead. He kept his cool. He walked one. He kept his cool. There were all sorts of noises, screams, and plays being thrown at him and his teammates. He kept his cool. Along with his team, they got the last out from a pop fly caught by a baseman. I have to admit, I broke down. My son had done such an amazing job and helped his team win a game that lets them all go on to Championship Sunday.


Photobucket
 My son.


My boy that I have watched grow up so much in sports and one that I am currently watching become a young man. My son was one of the good guys on the team today. My son. I can't even begin to tell him or you how proud of him I am.
Photobucket
After my tears and all the congrats, it was time to party!!


Coaches had promised a mohawk party if the boys won so off we went to get our mohawks on!
Photobucket


Then it was on to swimming and having a great time with his team.
Photobucket


I want to remember this day because I watched my son do things that I have always known he was going to do but haven't seen him in that position to. I watched my family come out and support him in the unruly heat. I watched my girls look at their brother with undying affection because they knew today was about him and his team. I watched moms and dads and teammates congratulate each other. I want to remember how blessed I felt today. I don't want that to go away.


We are off to more games starting bright and early tomorrow morning. We are hoping to make it all the way to the top but we are ok if we don't. Our boys played their little hearts out today and that is all that matters :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages